Are you one of the many homeowners who have recently installed a UV light system in their home's HVAC system and noticed a metallic odor? If so, you're not alone. In this article, we'll explain why this happens and what you can do to fix it. In a nutshell, the use of these lights is not hazardous within the system and any metallic smell that you detect can be the result of ozone gas being produced by UV-C lights. Don't worry, though - it's nothing urgent and it's definitely controllable. It's not part of your current air conditioning system, but it's an environmental process. It's about eradicating bacteria and fungi once they reach the flaps of the air conditioning coil.
You can do this by performing treatments against bacteria and fungi or by using an ultraviolet light system. These UV lights neutralize bacteria and mold and, in turn, prevent them from growing and successfully eliminate them. I have read that these UV lights produce ozone, which over time can damage plastic and harm the lungs (especially if they are sensitive to plastic). But if UV lights degrade the flexible duct, wiring, and drain pan, what can be used to fix the allergic reaction I'm having to the air? Suggestions are more than welcome. Fortunately, the actual level of ozone obtained after UV disinfection is negligible and, therefore, it is concluded that the VOCs responsible for the residual odor after UV disinfection do not pose a danger to human health. If you're experiencing a metallic smell after installing a UV light system in your home's HVAC system, don't panic. The ozone gas produced by these lights is not hazardous and can be easily controlled.
However, if you're still concerned about your health or safety, it's best to consult with an expert before taking any further action.